Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Canadian federal government introduced new legislation on Monday to criminalize LGBTQ conversion therapy, as Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government moves to fulfill one of its 2019 election promises.The proposed amendments to Canada’s Criminal Code include offenses such as causing a person to undergo conversion therapy, advertising and profiting from conversion therapy and removing a minor from Canada.Conversion therapy is any practice designed to change a person’s sexual orientation to heterosexual, gender identity to one that matches the sex assigned at birth, or to repress or reduce non-heterosexual sexual attraction or behaviors, according to the legislation. Topics : The bill also amends the Criminal Code to authorize courts to order disposing of or deleting advertisements for conversion therapy.”Conversion therapy has been discredited and denounced by professionals and health associations in Canada, the United States and around the world. It has no basis on science or facts,” said Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada David Lametti.The legislation would not criminalize personal views expressed in private conversations by individuals looking to provide support to those struggling with their sexual orientation or gender identity.The bill was introduced by Lametti and Bardish Chagger, minister of Diversity and Inclusion and Youth.Conversion therapy has been banned in some Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Calgary. Ontario was the first Canadian province to ban the practice in 2015.Several US states, including California, Colorado, New York and Washington, have banned conversion therapy.
“It is clear that there are gross, egregious human rights abuses going on… it is deeply, deeply troubling,” he told the BBC. “The reports and the human aspects of it… are reminiscent of something we have not seen for a long, long time, and this is from a leading member of the international community that wants to be taken seriously.”We want a positive relationship [with China], but we cannot see behavior like that and not call it out,” Raab added.His comments come as tensions between London and China are rising over a host of issues. Britain on Sunday accused Beijing of “gross, egregious human rights abuses” over its “deeply troubling” treatment of ethnic and religious minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region.Rights groups and experts estimate that more than one million ethnic Uighurs and other Turkic-speaking minorities have been rounded up into a network of internment camps.British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the reports of forced sterilizations and mass detentions in the predominantly Muslim region required international attention. Topics : Britain on Tuesday bowed to sustained pressure from Washington and ordered the phased removal of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei from its 5G network despite warnings of retaliation from Beijing.The two sides have also clashed over Beijing’s imposition of a controversial national security law in Hong Kong. ‘Resolute response’ The United States earlier this month slapped sanctions on senior Chinese officials, as it demanded an end to the “horrific” abuses against Uighurs and other Turkic Muslims in Xinjiang.Beijing swiftly responded with counter measures in one of the latest episodes in deteriorating US-China relations.Raab said he will update British lawmakers on Monday on the UK government’s next steps regarding Beijing’s draconian new law in Hong Kong.That will include announcing the outcome of a review of extradition arrangements with the former colonial territory.However, China’s ambassador to London warned Sunday that it will make a “resolute response” if Britain follows the US in sanctioning Chinese officials for the alleged abuses.”We never believe in unilateral sanctions, we believe the UN [United Nations] has the authority to impose sanctions,” Liu Xiaoming told the BBC.”If the UK government goes that far to impose sanctions on any individuals in China, China will certainly make resolute response to it.”Liu said he did not want to see “tit-for-tat” diplomatic skirmishes between Britain and Beijing, as was happening with the US.”I think [the] UK should have its own independent foreign policy rather than dance to the tune of the Americans like what happened to Huawei,” he added.
Coral BarryThursday 27 Jun 2019 6:20 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link385Shares Advertisement Arsenal interested in Monaco forward Keita Balde Inter could have signed Balde for £30m (Picture: Getty)Bournemouth’s Ryan Fraser and Dalian Yifang’s Yannick Carrasco have also been heavily linked with moves to Arsenal this summer.Inter had the chance to sign Balde permanently for £30million, but decided against the option.AdvertisementAdvertisementMonaco are happy to let Balde leave this summer and Arsenal are continuing to monitor the 24-year-old.MORE: Chris Sutton claims Arsenal target Kieran Tierney should cost as much as Aaron Wan-BissakaMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Balde spent last season with Inter (Picture: Getty)Arsenal are keeping tabs on Monaco forward Keita Balde after Inter opted against signing the goalscorer, reports say.Balde spent last season on loan with Inter, but scored just five goals in 24 appearances in Serie A.The Senegal international does not want to continue at Monaco and Le 10 Sport claim Arsenal are interested in the attacker.Arsenal are yet to formalise their interest in Balde, with Unai Emery considering several wingers in the transfer market.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Advertisement
August 03, 2020 Press Release, Public Health, Public Safety Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the Department of Health has launched a violence data dashboard to collect data on the scope, frequency, geography and populations affected by violence in Pennsylvania. The creation of the dashboard was a mandate in the governor’s 2019 Executive Order to Reduce Gun Violence.“The executive order I signed last year included tangible actions to reduce gun violence in our commonwealth and this dashboard is one that under the leadership of the Department of Health will work collaboratively across multiple agencies to collect data we need to determine the scope, location and factors that contribute to gun violence in our state,” Gov. Wolf said. I encourage every Pennsylvanian to view the dashboard for information that can inform policies and initiatives in their own communities.”The governor’s executive order set forth to establish a Violence Data Dashboard that will collect and provide data on the scope, frequency, locations, and populations affected by violence, including data on the number of victims of gun violence, rates at which gun violence occurs in locations, and contributory factors. The Department of Health will coordinate with and collect data from the Department of Human Services, Pennsylvania State Police, PCCD, and other commonwealth entities to populate the dashboard.“Violence is a significant public health issue that affects many people each and every year,” Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine said. “This dashboard will assist in providing information on the scope of violence in Pennsylvania, and the populations affected by it. Working alongside a number of state agencies, we are committed to taking steps to reduce the impact violence has on an individual’s health and way of life.”Gun violence in the United States and within the commonwealth has resulted in the tragic loss of human life, with more than 1,600 individuals losing their life to a firearm death in Pennsylvania in 2018.The violence data dashboard includes data looking at death cause and hospital discharge summary statistics. Hospital discharge data is from the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council (PHC4). Data is also available by gender, race/ethnicity, age group and geography.For more information on violence from a public health perspective, visit www.health.pa.gov or follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Wolf Administration Launches Pennsylvania Violence Data Dashboard SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
The Batesville JV Football team beat Rushville 26-10. Josh Mobley scored first for the Bulldogs on a 13 yard TD run. Kurt Siefert scored next on a 55-yard pass from Bryson Bonelli. Batesville scored again after a long pass to Abe Hollins who had the ball stripped from him but Jacob Meer quickly recovered the fumble in the end zone. Mobley ran in the 2 point conversion. Bonelli finished the scoring for the Bulldogs with a 4 yard TD run. Trenton Kincaide led the defense with two interceptions and very good run support. Vonley Hund and Nate Deputy did a great job keeping the Lions from being able to run outside and making Rushville one dimensional on offense. Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Tony Gausman.
THE proverbial ‘kings of futsal’ Sparta Boss, will begin their quest to claim another title when they play in the feature game on the opening night of the Xtreme Clean & Maintenance Co.GT Beer ‘Gold Rush’ Futsal Tournament.Devon MillingtonThe inaugural tournament kicks off tonight at the National Gymnasium, where 24 of the country’s top futsal teams will take aim at winning the $500 000 first place prize. Second-, third- and fourth-place finishers are set to collect $200 000, $100 000 and $50 000 respectively.With the likes of Gregory ‘Jackie Chan’ Richardson and Devon Millington in their side, Sparta Boss will have to get past West Back Road, since the tournament takes an unusual format, with the 24 teams playing a knockout round, and the top 12 (three groups of four) playing a round-robin.A Linden versus Georgetown clash will be the feature game of the evening, as Linden’s Guinness ‘Greatest of the Streets’ champions Dave and Celena square off against Sophia from 19:30hrs, after the opening game between Agricola and Beterverwagting (BV)-A at 19:00hrs.These two communities have long battled one another for supremacy in sports and this encounter will no doubt be used to reinforce that contention.West Demerara Guinness champions Showstoppers will come up against Tiger Bay – a team searching to restore their reputation as being one of the best teams in the shorter format.All the matchups should give the tournament the ideal start, that is to entertain fans and put on display the customary skills and speed that are the main characteristics of the format.Meanwhile, according to the organisers, every night two lucky fans will have the opportunity to win one pennyweight of gold or its equivalent. There will be several other novelty events which will allow patrons to win prizes.Below are the fixtures for the first two nights.Tonight’s round of matches:Agricola vs BV-A – 19:00rsFestival City vs Albouystown – 19:30hrsSophia vs Dave and Celena All-Stars – 20:00hrsShowstoppers vs Tiger Bay – 20:30hrsBroad Street vs Kitty – 21:00hrsSparta Boss vs West Back Road – 21:30hrsTomorrow’s fixtures:Tucville vs Melanie – 19:00hrsPlaisance vs Alexander Village – 19:30hrsBent Street vs Campbellville – 20:00hrsNorth East La Penitence vs Future Stars – 20:30hrsWest Front Road ‘Gold is Money’ vs North Ruimveldt – 21:00hrsBack Circle vs Globe Yard – 21:30hrs
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Roston’s Chase enterprise in the Test arena has earned him a call-up to the West Indies one-day side for the three-match series against minnows Afghanistan starting later next week.The 25-year-old right-hander is the only newcomer in a 13-man squad announced Sunday, which will be again captained by all-rounder Jason Holder and includes no surprises.Chase has come to the fore in recent times as the Caribbean side’s most dependable batsmen in the Test format, despite his limited experience of having played only 10 Tests.He struck back-to-back hundreds in the recent Test series against Pakistan en route to becoming the only batsman to top 400 runs and currently averages 48.Chase gathered only 214 runs at an average of 26 for Barbados Pride during this year’s Regional Super50 and averages only 25 in his List A career, but chief selector Courtney Browne said the player’s heavy scoring in Tests, coupled with his useful off-spin, would be an asset to the side“Roston Chase is the one new player in the squad. He was considered before for ODI selection, primarily because of his all-round ability,” Browne explained.“With his prolific run scoring in the last Test series and his continued steady all-round performances in the PCL we now feel it’s time to introduce him to ODI cricket. He was not among the leading runscorers in the Super50 tournament earlier this year, but we believe with his skill set and the way he has been playing he could be an asset.“His outstanding efforts with the bat could not be ignored any longer coupled with his useful bowling can only add value to our squad.”Chase will add to a spin attack which includes fellow Barbados off-spinner Ashley Nurse and front-line leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo.Selectors have persisted with the ineffective Bishoo despite the Guyanese’s single wicket in 26 overs in the three-match series against Pakistan in April.New ball bowlers Shannon Gabriel and Alzarri Joseph have been retained and headlines an attack that also includes seamers Holder and Miguel Cummins.“Our bowling attack remains the same with four seamers and two specialist spinners,” Browne noted.“With Roston now adding an additional spinning option for the captain, this offers further variety to the bowling attack. This gives the team the option of playing an additional fast bowler if required.”Chadwick Walton, who managed just 36 runs from three innings against Pakistan, has been dropped from the side.West Indies face Afghanistan in the first ODI starting Friday at the Darren Sammy National Stadium in Gros Islet, St Lucia.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Devendra Bishoo, Jonathan Carter, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shannon Gabriel, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Evin Lewis, Jason Mohammed, Ashley Nurse, Kieran Powell, Rovman Powell.
Mark Wood can provide the X Factor England need to beat South Africa in the third Test in Port Elizabeth, says assistant coach Paul Collingwood.James Anderson has been ruled out with a broken rib and Jofra Archer missed the second Test with an elbow injury.That leaves a potentially sizeable hole in the England attack with the series poised at 1-1.“Mark’s ready to come in and do a job,” said Collingwood.“You need those types of bowlers, especially on surfaces at Port Elizabeth where you might need a touch of X Factor; a 90mph-plus bowler that can get the batsmen jumping around.“Mark’s certainly the kind of guy who can do that, along with Jofra.”Wood, 30, has not played Test cricket for England since February 2019, when he produced career-best figures of 5-41 to clinch a 232-run victory against West Indies in St Lucia.He went on to play an integral part in England’s World Cup victory, but has not bowled in a competitive match since picking up a side strain in the final.Collingwood acknowledges the lack of match practice is far from ideal, but says he has seen enough from his former Durham team-mate in the nets to believe he is ready to re-enter the Test arena.“Ideally, you would like to have him playing cricket somewhere but with the international schedule the way it is that’s just not a viable option,” he said.“So from a coach’s point of view you have got to make sure they have got the overs under their belt and their workloads up. He looks really good in the nets.”England will recall at least one, possibly two, bowlers for Thursday’s third Test with Wood, Archer, Chris Woakes and Craig Overton all in contention, depending on whether they retain spinner Dom Bess in the starting XI.They will return to a team which bowled out South Africa twice to level the series in their last outing in Cape Town.“Cape Town was exceptional,” said Collingwood. “I thought our first-innings bowling performance was one of the best I have seen for many years and that’s kind of the blueprint for the future with the Kookaburra ball.”England will be led by Joe Root in the third Test of four, after the captain recovered from illness which saw him miss training earlier in the week.“It’s good to see him back,” added Collingwood. “He’s got a smile on his face and we’ve just got to make sure he doesn’t pass it on to anyone else.“He shouldn’t now, so all good on that front.”(BBC Sport)