The 75-unit housing project proposed on the site of a “historic” laundromat at 2918 Mission St. was quietly approved last October — without appeals from its fierce opposition, and without any gloating from its outspoken and controversial developer, Robert Tillman. After this and other local publications reported heavily on the project, which had been juggled between the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors — including the historical studies, the shadow studies, the lawsuit filed by Tillman — the project was fully entitled last year without a peep from anyone. The five-year battle ended in anticlimax. “I just want to sell my property, get the best price for it, and move on,” Tillman told Mission Local on Monday. “I don’t think a lot of people had a terrible motivation to crow.”But last week, the project site that sits on Mission Street between 25th and 26th was thrust into the spotlight again: The developer of the proposed 330-unit development at 16th and Mission made a “best and final offer” to give Tillman’s entitled site — along with the stalled 117-unit project at 2675 Folsom — to the city for affordable housing development, in exchange for approval. Subscribe to Mission Local’s daily newsletter Wait, Tillman’s project was approved? For anyone who was wondering, here’s how it happened:Last October, deputy city attorneys met in closed session with the Planning Commission regarding Tillman’s June lawsuit, which alleged that the Board of Supervisors illegally delayed his project. It is unclear what was discussed in the Oct. 4 meeting (the Commission would have to vote to disclose the meeting’s details) — but a week later, the Planning Commission voted 4-3 to push the project through. Technically, the project’s main opposition — the community group Calle 24 — had a month to appeal, which would have triggered a vote by the Board of Supervisors. The two prior times this matter went before the supes, Supervisor Hillary Ronen first delayed a vote on a project pending a study of whether the laundromat building was a historic resource (it turned out not to be), and then later kicked it back to the Planning Commission to assess further shadow studies. Yet after the Commission’s Oct. 11 approval, Mission community groups, which have a reputation for not backing down — on anything — did not appeal. “It was a strategic decision, the basis of which I am not at liberty to disclose,” said Scott Weaver, a lawyer with Calle 24.Ronen suggested the appellants had no other avenues after the environmental review — known as CEQA — was exhausted. “My guess is there was no appeal filed because the shadow study report came back and did not seem to indicate that there was much impact on the adjacent schools,” she said, “and there wasn’t much else under CEQA that could be studied on the project.”A building permit was issued in November, very shortly after the appeals period closed. And, on Jan. 11, after it was clear there would be no more opposition, Tillman dropped his lawsuit against the city.So here we are: The land of one controversial developer might get purchased by an even more controversial developer, which said it would give the land to the city in exchange for building its controversial project at 1979 Mission St. And if a 100-percent affordable housing development were ever to rise on the site one day, that would be, well, very ironic. “If they can get an overall deal, I’d do that,” Tillman said of Maximus’s offer to community groups. “If that’s what everybody wants.”But just how possible that is — and whether anyone wants it — remains to be seen. Email Address
TICKETS for Saints mouthwatering Super League XVI home opener with Warrington Wolves on Friday February 25 (8pm) are still on sale.This ALL TICKET encounter kicks off Saints’ home campaign at their temporary Widnes venue.The East Stand has sold out whilst Warrington have sold their allocation of West Stand tickets.Tickets will be available on matchday from the matchday Ticket Office window on Friday – North and South Stand tickets still remain.Tickets are now on sale from Saints Town Centre Store in the Church Square Shopping Centre and by calling 01744 455 050.You cannot buy tickets from Widnes’ ticket office during the week or via the Stobart Stadium’s phoneline.Tickets will be on sale from the Ticket Office from 4.30pm on Friday only at the Stobart.Please note, you can only enter the stand your ticket corresponds to. For example, if you have an East Stand ticket, you can’t use the North Stand turnstiles to access your seat.
KYLE Amor will play his third game for Saints on Friday since returning from a knee injury that almost curtailed his season.The prop forward broke down in the Cup loss at Headingley in March and it was feared that would be it for 2014.But the big Cumbrian has come back earlier than expected and is already leading from the front.“It’s great to be back on the field and I’m loving every minute,” he said. “It has been a frustrating time.“After I got injured we thought I would need an operation. But a specialist clarified I didn’t. That meant I had a target ahead of me to return and I completed my rehab earlier than expected.“I worked hard with physios Nathan Mill and Joey Hayes and conditioner Matt Daniels too.“I’ve had two games back and haven’t done anything drastic. I can do more to help those around me.“Strength and fitness I’m there, it’s the minor details like practise and timing. Those one percenters that make a massive difference.“I was in good form before the injury and was making great strides. I now need to quickly build it back up and work hard.”Saints take on Widnes at Langtree Park this Friday (July 25) at 8pm. Tickets remain on sale for the match from the Ticket Office at Langtree Park, by calling 01744 455052 or by logging on here.
The money will help test the amount of genx in the cape fear and determine its impact on public health. It will also help utility companies develop technology to remove GenX from the water supply.The legislation also demands the NC Department of Environmental Quality to issue a notice of violation to those responsible for discharging GenX.Governor Roy Cooper issued a statement in response to House Bill 56:“Clean water that is threatened by chemicals we know little about requires a strong, united and well funded statewide response. A sprinkle of local funds hooked to bad environmental legislation doesn’t help. I ask Republican legislators to work with us to protect the water all over our state.”Related Article: UNCW classes to resume Monday for most students RALEIGH, NC (WWAY) — The House joined the Senate in passing legislation to address the GenX contamination in the Cape Fear River.The House met Wednesday and passed House Bill 56, a bill that includes $435,000 for UNCW and CFPUA.- Advertisement –
The contract with the company carrying out the project was terminated in January.Since then, the town has been discussing options on how to go forward with the project with state and federal authorities.Town council will get an update on those efforts at their meeting tomorrow at 6 p.m. in the council chambers. Carolina Beach Lake dredging on December 14, 2017. (Photo: Andrew James/WWAY News) CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — The dredging of Carolina Beach Lake has been a controversial topic for more than a year and an update is coming Tuesday.Dredging started last year but was stopped in September after issues of where the sediment would be dumped arose.- Advertisement –
Good Morning Carolina anchor Hannah Patrick was among the honored guests in the parade, which also featured local dignitaries, classic cars and veterans, including two from World War II.The neighborhood is proud of how the parade has grown from humble roots.“A few neighbors got together and started having a picnic and getting little cars together, little bikes together, decorating just like in the good old days. and we have just continued that every year,” Magnolia Greens Social Committee Co-Chair Mary Lou Cook said.Related Article: Brunswick County girl loses battle with brain cancerAfter the parade residents enjoyed a community picnic.They look forward to celebrating again this fall as Magnolia Greens marks its 20th anniversary.Thanks to everyone in Magnolia Greens for making us part of the family. LELAND, NC (WWAY) — It’s been a couple months since we moved into our new home here in Leland. Today our new neighbors invited us to celebrate the 4th of July with them.Magnolia Greens hosted its 16th annual 4th of July Parade this morning. Hundreds of residents and visitors turned out for the event.- Advertisement –
Susan Habas of the Thalian Association Community Theater says the event will have “something for the whole family and will be a lot of fun this weekend.”Art will include work in acrylic, alcohol ink, gouache, linocut, mixed media, oil, pastel, pen & ink, photography, and watercolor.Admission is free. You can get more information on the event by clicking here. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The 4th Annual ARTfall at the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center kicks off Thursday and runs all weekend.It is in conjunction with the American Craft Walk Wilmington and features over 50 artists in various mediums. For the first time ARTfall will include 3D art.- Advertisement –
Jennifer Sulzer says this was one of the first times after Florence that she saw everyone enjoy time together.“We were trapped for about a month. And finally being able to get out and finally being able to come together as a family and things like that, it was really nice,” said Jennifer Sulzer, who was trapped with her family in their Burgaw home.The event started at 6pm and wrapped up with fireworks WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Wrightsville Beach kicked off the holiday season with the 34th annual Holiday Flotilla on Saturday.Hundreds came out to watch the holiday parade on the Intracoastal Waterway. The event was presented by Blockade Runner, featuring boats lit up for the holiday.- Advertisement –
On October 18, he pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession with intent to distribute a quantity of heroin and cocaine base (crack).On December 29, 2017, Wilmington Police officers responded to a shots fired call in the 600 block of Campbell Street in Wilmington. When officers arrived, they saw Melvin with a handgun and he was ordered to drop it. During a search, police said Melvin was in possession of two cell phones, crack cocaine, heroin and cash.Melvin had a prior felony conviction for attempting to engage in trafficking heroin by transportation. Ronnell Melvin (Photo: Pamlico County Sheriff’s Office) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A New Hanover County man was sentenced to prison in federal court Tuesday on gun and drug charges.Ronnell Melvin, 32, will spend nearly seven years behind bars followed by three years of supervised release.- Advertisement –
5700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO) (Photo: NHCSO) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY)– The New Hanover County Sheriff’s office seized thousands of bags of heroin after a four week long investigation into heroin sales.According to a press release, detectives conducted surveillance on Crystal James. After observing James leave her residence and drive into a parking lot near Shipyard Boulevard, detectives approached her sitting in her vehicle.- Advertisement – 5700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO) Daquan Hansley (Photo: NHCSO) Traneeta Lloyd (Photo: NHCSO) 55700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO) 5700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO) (Photo: NHCSO) Crystal James (Photo: NHCSO) In her vehicle, detectives say they found around 100 bags of heroin, 12 grams of crack cocaine, and drug paraphernalia.Traneeta Lloyd and Daquan Hansley were in a car next to her. Detectives searched the car and located an additional 30 bags of heroin, approximately two grams of cocaine and two grams of marijuana.Detectives got a search warrant for James’ Wilmington home and seized 5,600 bags of heroin, more than 80 grams of marijuana, and an AR style rifle.Related Article: Police: Patriots owner Robert Kraft solicited prostituteCrystal James was charged with numerous drug offenses including possession with intent to sell heroin and trafficking heroin. She is in the New Hanover Detention Facility under a $2,000,000 secured bond.Hansley and Lloyd were also charged with numerous drug offenses including possession with intent to sell heroin. 5700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO) AR style .22 long rifle seized in Wilmington drug bust. 5700 bags of heroin seized in Wilmington drug bust (Photo: NHCSO)