Gayle fell BANGALORE, India, (CMC): Superstar Chris Gayle’s slump continued as Royal Challengers Bangalore suffered at the hands of a quick-fire hundred by South African opener Quinton de Kock, crashing to a seven-wicket defeat to Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League here yesterday. Sent in at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, RCB rallied to an imposing 191 for five off their 20 overs, behind captain Virat Kohli’s 79 and South African star AB de Villiers’ 55, with seamer Mohammed Shami taking two for 34. In reply, de Kock plundered 108 and Karun Nair, an unbeaten 54, as Delhi roared to victory with five balls to spare. Australian all-rounder Shane Watson claimed two for 25 with his four overs of medium pace. The victory was Delhi’s second in three outings, while RCB have won one of two. RCB were early trouble when Gayle fell to the third ball of the game without a run on the board, caught at first slip by JP Duminy off a tentative push at an out-swinger from left-arm seamer Zaheer Khan. Since his blistering hundred against England in the opening game of the Twenty20 World Cup last month, Gayle has struggled with scores of of 4, 5, 4, 1 and 0. Kohli, who struck seven fours and three sixes off 48 deliveries, put on 107 for the second wicket with de Villiers and another 63 with Watson, who made 33, to rebuild the innings. West Indies seamer Carlos Brathwaite took one for 18 from two overs. De Kock then took the game away from RCB with an innings that required 51 balls and included 15 fours and three sixes. At 50 for two in the sixth over, the game was still open, but de Kock and Nair put an end to RCB’s hopes in a 134-run third-wicket stand.
ATLANTA (AP):Atlanta and San Antonio took imposing 2-0 leads in their opening-round playoff series with emphatic victories over Boston and Memphis on Tuesday night.The Hawks held the Celtics to the lowest-scoring first quarter in the playoffs since the NBA went to the shot clock, building a 21-point lead and holding on despite an ugly shooting performance of their own for an 89-72 victory and a strong hold on their Eastern Conference series.Al Horford and Kyle Korver led Atlanta with 17 points apiece, but this game was essentially decided in the first 12 minutes.The Hawks started nine of 13 from the field, knocking down six from beyond the three-point arc. Korver made four from long range, a big turnaround from a one-of-10 performance in Game One that didn’t include any threes. Atlanta led 24-3 just 6 1/2 minutes into the game.Even after failing to score the rest of the period, the Hawks still led 24-7 heading to the second.Shaking off a dismal performance in the playoff opener, Korver swished four three-pointers in the opening minutes to propel Atlanta to a stunning 21-point lead before many fans had settled into their seats. There wasn’t much doubt after that.MISSED SHOTS”We all have pride, right?” said Korver, who went one of 10 on Saturday and missed all seven of his three-point attempts. “I wanted to come out and play better the second game.”As good as Korver and the Hawks were in the early going, this one will be remembered more for the Celtics’ grisly start.”I don’t know what it is,” said Boston’s Jae Crowder, looking a bit shell-shocked after scoring just two points on one-of-nine shooting. “But we’ve got to change something.”Crowder had plenty of company in his shooting misery.Boston star Isaiah Thomas was held to 16 points on four-of-15 shooting, going one of six beyond the arc. Marcus Smart stepped in for the injured Avery Bradley and went one of 11, also making just one of six from three-point range. The Celtics finished at 32 per cent overall (28 of 88), five of 28 from long range.Game Three is tomorrow night in Boston.San Antonio were even more impressive than the Hawks in beating the Grizzlies 94-68. Patty Mills had 16 points, Kawhi Leonard added 13 and San Antonio never trailed in sweeping the first two games.
…as prisoners display high-priced liquor, drugs on FacebookAfter a social media post of prisoners at the New Amsterdam Prison hosting a party with rum and drugs went viral, an investigation has been launched.The social media post, which was uploaded by Abdul Andre Azimullah, who is on remand for murder, showed inmates sporting high-priced liquor and drugs during what they labelled a Mother’s Day party.One of the photos that were posted on Facebook showing prisoners posing and consuming alcohol while being detained at New Amsterdam penitentiaryWhen contacted, Director of the Guyana Prison Service, Gladwin Samuels said that while there was no exact or direct evidence as to how the liquor got into the penitentiary, the prisoner who posted the pictures on Facebook has identified the person who took the items into the facility.“There is no direct evidence pointing to any prison officer who would have facilitated the movement of the contraband into the prison,” Samuels said.However, investigators noted that the bottles of pricey liquor – Cîroc and Hennessey – were smuggled into the jail yard on a town council tractor.“Based on video evidence, the tractor was searched, and the search seemed to have been properly conducted based on what the video is revealing,” Samuels noted.He added that this was an indication of a lapse in supervision of the prison yard on Sunday, while citing his disappointment, he further noted that sanctions would be taken against those persons who are found culpable.“We still have to do further investigations to establish if that was so because, as it is right now, that is the prisoner’s account,” the Prisons Director explained.Samuels said a news conference would be hosted during which time the supervisor would discuss what occurred.“I have made it clear that the Officer-in-Charge of the facility must be at the press briefing, because it is time that they are made to answer for their stewardship,” he noted.The Prisons Director said he alone would not be taking blame because officers must understand that they have to take responsibility for delegated authority.Moreover, concerns continue to be raised about how prisoners gain possession of illegal items that are found in the prison.Meanwhile, in a statement on Monday, the Public Security Ministry said that the mobile device which was used by the inmate to post the pictures on social media has since been seized, as investigations continue.“The ministry is extremely disappointed that alien objects and other material, inclusive of drugs and liquor, find their way into the various prisons as obviously happened here. There is no doubt collusion with prison wardens and prisoners which is causing this. This kind of misbehavior by the culpable prison wardens will be dealt with very seriously after the ongoing investigations reveal who they are. The public will be further advised on this matter after investigations concludes,” the ministry noted in its statement.