College system making Jamaica stronger- Davis says rise on international stage coincides with athletes developing at home

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU: Director of Sports at the University of Technology (UTech), Anthony Davis, says Jamaica’s long-term success in track and field and that of the wider sporting disciplines at the international level depends heavily on the development of a good collegiate system. Davis, who heads one of Jamaica’s most prestigious college sports programmes at UTech, was the keynote speaker at yesterday’s launch of the third staging of the Montego Bay City Run, at the Holiday Inn Resort. “Once upon a time we never had a vibrant collegiate system, but now it’s been growing exponentially and because of the direct link we now have genuine track and field stars on the rise in our universities and colleges,” Davis said. “This can only mean a sustained presence of high quality athletes at the national and international levels for Jamaica,” he noted. Davis has witnessed the rise of many local track and field stars to have benefited from attending US colleges and universities through various scholarships. He believes the system has improved for young stars to be schooled and trained locally. “I have nothing against a student wishing to access higher education and training elsewhere, but we have seen a dramatic drop in the numbers opting to do so. Instead, we see them getting into local universities and colleges, train locally and are now at the top of the world in respective events,” Davis said. “It shows we are on the right path and are doing the right things to educate and elevate our student athletes,” cited Davis. According to Davis, the approximately 21 universities and colleges across Jamaica have been making great investments to upgrade coaches and facilities to meet the growing local demand. “Before this we depended on our talents being developed overseas, primarily in US colleges and while that served its purpose and still does, I am of the view that we have been more than holding our own with the rise, development and upkeep of our own stars. And that is always good for Jamaica,” he stated. Davis is also a committee member of the International University Sports Federation (FISU). The MoBay City Run is set for May 1, 2016 and projected to attract more than 2,000 local and international marathon runners. It seeks to raise $5 million for tertiary level students in western Jamaica.last_img read more

RCB crushed as Gayle struggles again

first_img Gayle fell BANGALORE, India, (CMC): Superstar Chris Gayle’s slump continued as Royal Challengers Bangalore suffered at the hands of a quick-fire hundred by South African opener Quinton de Kock, crashing to a seven-wicket defeat to Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League here yesterday. Sent in at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, RCB rallied to an imposing 191 for five off their 20 overs, behind captain Virat Kohli’s 79 and South African star AB de Villiers’ 55, with seamer Mohammed Shami taking two for 34. In reply, de Kock plundered 108 and Karun Nair, an unbeaten 54, as Delhi roared to victory with five balls to spare. Australian all-rounder Shane Watson claimed two for 25 with his four overs of medium pace. The victory was Delhi’s second in three outings, while RCB have won one of two. RCB were early trouble when Gayle fell to the third ball of the game without a run on the board, caught at first slip by JP Duminy off a tentative push at an out-swinger from left-arm seamer Zaheer Khan. Since his blistering hundred against England in the opening game of the Twenty20 World Cup last month, Gayle has struggled with scores of of 4, 5, 4, 1 and 0. Kohli, who struck seven fours and three sixes off 48 deliveries, put on 107 for the second wicket with de Villiers and another 63 with Watson, who made 33, to rebuild the innings. West Indies seamer Carlos Brathwaite took one for 18 from two overs. De Kock then took the game away from RCB with an innings that required 51 balls and included 15 fours and three sixes. At 50 for two in the sixth over, the game was still open, but de Kock and Nair put an end to RCB’s hopes in a 134-run third-wicket stand.last_img read more

BREAKING NEWS: FIFTEEN FIRE UNITS ATTEND SCENE OF MASSIVE BLAZE

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: Emergency services are currently attending the scene of a massive blaze at The Bridgend Business Park.It is believed a vacant warehouse which included a carwash went ablaze this afternoon. The area was immediately sealed off amidst fears a fuel tank adjacent to the premises would could catch fire.FIFTEEN fire units from Moville, Strabane, Glenties, and Letterkenny raced to the scene and they launched a huge collective effort to get the fire under control.Members of the fire service are still attempting to get the fire under control.It is not yet known if anyone has been injured in the blaze which broke out shortly after 2pm. There were may be some traffic disruption in and around the area as the fire services attempt to extinguish the fire.It is not yet known how the fire started, but Gardaí and members of the fire service will survey the scene as soon as the fire is put out.We’ll have more on this breaking news story when more details emerge.Pictures by North-West Newspix. BREAKING NEWS: FIFTEEN FIRE UNITS ATTEND SCENE OF MASSIVE BLAZE was last modified: October 6th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Home-page Newslast_img read more

Photo library terms and conditions of use

first_imgAll photographs in Media Club South Africa’s free photo library may be downloaded and republished free of charge in print publications – newspapers, magazines, books and the like – and on internet sites, subject to the following conditions:1. In all cases, credit for the photograph must be given to both the photographer and the copyright owner, as indicated in the photograph caption. In most cases the copyright owner will be Media Club South Africa. This credit must appear alongside the image in both print and online publications, and must include a hyperlink to Media Club South Africa (www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com).2. Where the photographer’s name is not provided by the Media Club South Africa photo library, it may be omitted. Credit for the photograph would in this case simply be Media Club South Africa or other relevant copyright owner, as indicated below the photo thumbnail.3. Media Club South Africa photographs may not be used for any promotional, advertising or merchandising use, and may not be sold.4. The photographs may not be materially altered. They may be cropped, deep-etched and colour corrected, provided that their editorial integrity is not compromised, but may not, under any circumstances, otherwise be rotated, altered, changed or tampered with, either manually or electronically, without the express written permission of Media Club South Africa.5. In order to make use of this service free of charge, you must:5.1 Acknowledge that all copyright in the photographs from the Media Club photo library rests in Media Club South Africa (or the copyright owner specified under the thumbnail image) and is never sold or assigned. 5.2 Acknowledge Media Club South Africa (or any copyright owner other than Media Club South Africa, as indicated) as the copyright owner and source of the photograph in a clearly legible manner alongside each photograph.5.3 Acknowledge that Media Club South Africa photographs may not be used for any promotional, advertising or merchandising use.5.4 Acknowledge that the photographs may not be materially altered, not may their editorial integrity be compromised.5.5 Agree that 650 Euros/£500.00/US$1 000.00 is a reasonable penalty, payable by you to Media Club South Africa (or any copyright owner other than Media Club South Africa) in lieu of damages, for each use of a photograph not in accordance with or permitted by this agreement. You must further agree to make payment of each penalty on demand by Media Club South Africa.If you have additional queries about the image library, email Mary Alexander at marya@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.last_img read more

Trade Aid Not a Solution

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Chris ClaytonDTN Ag Policy EditorOMAHA (DTN) — Leaders of farm groups on Thursday showed they have President Donald Trump’s back as he offered them another $16 billion in federal aid in lieu of anticipated higher exports to China.In response to the new Market Facilitation Program rolled out Thursday, farm groups offered praise to the Trump administration for helping offset export losses, but reiterated that a second consecutive year of trade aid is insufficient to make up for potentially years of lost trade revenue.Farm groups praised the $16 billion in aid, though it is unclear exactly how much farmers will be paid individually. Payments will be based on all planted commodities in a county, yet USDA will only pay crop farmers based on a single county payment rate multiplied by a farm’s total planted acres in 2019. The new MFP payments will be limited to the total amount of eligible acreage a farmer planted in 2018.The payment rates will vary in every county, but USDA is not releasing those payment rates at this time. Payments will be broken down into as many as three tranches. The first set of payments could go out as early as July or August after farmers have provided Farm Service Agency with their crop-reporting data, which is due July 15.American Farm Bureau Federation President Zippy Duvall, who stood by Trump during an event Thursday at the White House, called the latest round of aid “a welcome relief to an economic sector that has been battered by foreign competitors and retaliatory tariffs.”“We thank the president for living up to his commitment to stand by our farmers and ranchers,” Duvall said. “While farmers and ranchers would rather earn their income from the marketplace, they have been suffering during the agricultural downturn and trade war. This aid package will help us weather the storm as the administration works to correct unfair trade practices that have hurt the U.S. economy for too long.”However, Duvall added that a “real, long-term solution to our challenges in agriculture is good outcomes to current negotiations with China, Japan and the European Union, as well as congressional approval of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement. America’s farmers and ranchers need fair and open access to markets.”National Farmers Union was pleased USDA is covering a broader range of commodities than it did in the first MFP. At the same time, NFU noted that basing payments on 2019 planted acres “fails to help those who have faced or are facing impossible planting conditions.”NFU President Roger Johnson said: “Ultimately, this package is only a short-term fix for a very long-term problem. Farmers rely on markets to make a living. Our ongoing trade wars have destroyed our reputation as a reliable supplier and have left family farmers with swelling grain stores and empty pockets. The very least we can do is provide our country’s struggling food producers with the certainty of a longer-term plan that also addresses the persistent and pernicious problem of oversupply.”Davie Stephens, president of the American Soybean Association and farmer from Clinton, Kentucky, said soybean farmers appreciate that President Trump understands their plight and has looked for ways to ease the burden.“But, farmers are resolute that the only real solution is to take away the tariffs that have hemorrhaged our sales and landed our relationship with China on life support,” Stephens said.Stephens added that the soybean industry needs open trade access. “The key word from today’s announcement is ‘facilitation.’ Trade assistance will only facilitate soy growers’ ability to farm, not make their losses whole or tariff woes disappear long term. Trade assistance will only help in the short term.”Though the payment program will be based on a new county formula for crops, National Corn Growers Association called on USDA to update MFP to consider its view that corn farmers lost an average of 20 cents a bushel from trade from over the past year. The spread recently has widened to closer to 40 cents a bushel, NCGA stated.NCGA is also encouraging additional actions the administration could take to open markets and provide more certainty to corn farmers, including stopping Renewable Fuel Standard waivers to big oil refiners and restoring waived ethanol gallons as well as resolving trade disputes and tariffs.Ben Scholz, president of the National Association of Wheat Growers and Lavon, Texas, farmer, said wheat growers appreciate the new mitigation program, but it does not make farmers whole.“The U.S. exports 50% of its wheat, which means we need a long-term solution,” Scholz said. “This includes getting the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) across the finish line, completing negotiations with China and supporting our WTO case, and closing a trade deal with Japan.”Scholz said NAWG will work with the Trump administration and USDA on “a relief strategy to ensure that the program works best for wheat farmers.”Mike Tate, chairman of the National Cotton Council and an Alabama farmer, said this round of assistance, like the first one initiated in 2018, will help partially mitigate the impacts of retaliatory tariffs being placed on U.S. raw cotton to China. He said the cotton industry will look to the administration for other avenues of assistance.“While our industry is very thankful for this assistance, we strongly encourage the administration to engage in constructive dialogue with China to address unfair trade practices and barriers,” Tate said. “China traditionally has been U.S. cotton’s top export destination. Resolution of the current trade tensions remains our top priority.”Under last year’s MFP, commodity export groups received $200 million for trade promotion programs.Tom Nassif, president and CEO of Western Growers, said his group was disappointed USDA had cut the trade program in half for commodity export groups, “despite the fact that it was massively oversubscribed during the last round of trade assistance. As a silver lining, we see this situation as an opportunity to open up new markets for American agricultural products in other parts of the world.”Nassif added that the current aid package remains “insufficient to make the industry whole.“Indeed, it will take American farmers many years, if ever, to recover from the lost trade revenues and, more importantly, lost markets that have resulted from the continuation of trade disruptions with China.”The dairy package will provide farmers a payment based on recent production. National Milk Producers Federation President and CEO Jim Mulhern said the industry knows USDA is concerned about the damage being done to dairy farmers and called on the first tranche of payments to be “a large segment of the payment” to producers.“We appreciate USDA’s concern for dairy’s needs, and we look forward to working with USDA, Congress and the White House as the department further develops its plans,” Mulhern said.Chris Clayton can be reached at Chris.Clayton@dtn.comFollow him on Twitter @ChrisClaytonDTN(AG/KD)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.last_img read more