CEB given strict deadline to submit revised expansion plan

The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) has issued a directive to the Ceylon Electricity Board to submit a revised least cost long term generation expansion plan on or before August 01, 2016.PUCSL has written to the CEB saying that despite letters sent earlier the CEB has yet to submit the plan. The Commission says it has observed that under drought conditions, even with planned plant additions, Sri Lanka is expected to face energy and capacity shortages in the years 2018/2019 and beyond, and the Transmission Licensee’s delay in submission of LCLTGEP 2015-2034 could further aggravate this situation. “This refers to the Commission’s letter under reference PUC/LI/TL/2015/14, dated December 18, 2015, requiring the Transmission Licensee to resubmit the Least Cost Long Term Generation Expansion Plan (LCLTGEP) 2015-2034 with necessary amendments and also the Commission’s letter to Secretary, Ministry of Power and Energy dated March 31, 2016, regarding Power Supply Situation 2022 (attached). The Commission has not received the revised LCLTGEP 2015-2034, to date,” the letter sent to the CEB states. Considering the above circumstances, the Commission decided to issue a directive under Condition 4 of the Transmission and Bulk Supply Licence issued to the Ceylon Electricity Board, to submit the revised LCLTGEP 2015-2034, including solution/s to meet the energy and capacity demand during 2016- 2021 on or before August 01, 2016. (Colombo Gazette) read more

Manitoba deficit slightly higher than forecast net debt jumps 14B

by Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press Posted Sep 30, 2014 2:39 pm MDT Manitoba deficit slightly higher than forecast; net debt jumps $1.4B AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email WINNIPEG – Manitoba’s deficit was slightly higher than expected last year, says a report that is bound to provide ammunition to the opposition parties.The annual public accounts document released Tuesday shows the deficit for the 2013-14 fiscal year was $522 million — $4 million higher than budgeted. The report, approved by the auditor general, is the final verdict on the year’s fiscal numbers.Expenses were higher than expected in some areas, such as auto insurance claims at Crown-owned Manitoba Public Insurance due to a long cold winter with icy roads. On the plus side, it was a good year for crops, and retail sales were up as well.Finance Minister Jennifer Howard said the government stayed close to its target while spending money on infrastructure and job creation.“We have managed to stay on track by focusing our resources on jobs, infrastructure and the health and education services that families count on.”But the extra red ink may raise more concerns about the NDP government’s promise to balance its budget by 2016-17, which is an election year. The province has been running deficits since 2009 and earlier pushed back a promise to be in the black by 2014.Last month, Moody’s downgraded Manitoba’ fiscal outlook. The credit rating agency cited concerns the government might not meet its target.Tuesday’s report showed the provincial net debt jumped by $1.4 billion to $17.3 billion. As a percentage of GDP, it increased to 28.8 per cent from 27.3. As a percentage of government revenues, it moved up to 122 per cent from 117.The government has defended its deficits as the best way to ride out the global economic slowdown. Howard has repeatedly said the Opposition Tories would implement deep spending cuts if elected, while the NDP believes spending has stimulated job growth and kept the provincial economy growing.To that end, the government also released a report Tuesday to show how it has spent money raised from last year’s controversial decision to raise the provincial sales tax to eight per cent from seven. The New Democrats promised to use all the extra cash for core infrastructure such as roads and bridges.The government raised $190 million in the last fiscal year from the tax increase, the report said. Infrastructure spending increased by $115 million, but the province said the unused money will be carried forward and spent in future years.Jon Gerrard, a Liberal member of the legislature, said the government is misleading people by saying the infrastructure money has been set aside for future use.Given the fact the NDP ran a deficit, “all the tax revenues raised in 2013-2014 were spent. They spent the $75 million on other items,” Gerrard wrote in a statement. read more

SMMT welcomes end of life vehicles inquiry

Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) SMMT today welcomed the opportunity to contribute to the Trade and Industry Select Committee’s inquiry into the economic impact of the End of Life Vehicles (ELV) Directive. The committee has called for written evidence by 21 September and will hear oral evidence in the autumn. SMMT looks forward to making a positive contribution to the inquiry, focussing on ensuring that implementation does not impose unnecessary administrative and cost burdens for UK manufacturers. To encourage responsible vehicle disposal, and to cut down on the problem of car dumping, SMMT is calling for the introduction of Certificates of Disposal. Only when the last owner can prove that the vehicle has been disposed of properly will a certificate be issued. Under the scheme, which already works well in Germany, the owner will still pay vehicle excise duty until a certificate has been granted. Manufacturers are keen to play their part in vehicle disposal but remain concerned that many parties that also gain significant income from a car during its life, including the government, will not pay a penny towards recycling. ‘The ELV Directive is a complex piece of legislation and we are keen to ensure that it is fair for both the environment and industry. The Trade and Industry Select Committee’s inquiry will provide an important opportunity to review the key issues in advance of Government legislation’, said SMMT chief executive Christopher Macgowan. In a report called Who’s milking the motor car? SMMT showed that the government gained most income from an average car throughout its nine-year life. 23 per cent of the £50,000 generated by the car was taken by the treasury. Its sale new accounted for just 16 per cent, equal to the take from finance houses and insurance companies during its time on the road. Notes to editors: The industry will point out that the Directive should not be implemented in a way that imposes more costs on UK manufacturers than others in Europe. Germany and France have already set out how targets set in the Directive will be reflected in their laws and the UK government should follow their lead. Imposing a stricter regime in this country would be both impractical and costly. The ELV Directive sets two target dates for manufacturers. In 2002 manufacturers will be made to pay a significant part of recycling costs of all new vehicles. In 2007 the liability will extend to all vehicles in the parc. The UK government has not confirmed whether or not it intends to follow this text or impose stricter targets for manufacturers in this country. read more