Limerick asthmatics not using life-saving service

first_imgPrint Teva Pharmaceuticals Ireland today launches the first national respiratory inhaler recycling pilot Previous articleUHL not worst in Trolley crisisNext articleSlow Riot release Voyeur /Burn in the City this Friday Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Twitter MANY of the 18,000  Limerick people who suffer from asthma are not availing of a free service that could give them a much better quality of life and even save their lives.And the new chief executive of the Asthma Society of Ireland is now calling on them to avail of the society’s Adviceline service.Speaking about Limerick’s calls to the free Adviceline service, Sarah O’Connor said: “18,443 people in Limerick have asthma and we are concerned that they are not availing of the free Adviceline service. We would love to receive more calls so that we can help people with asthma feel well, keep their asthma under control, and lead the fullest life, symptom-free.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “The Advicline specialist nurse works through what to do in the event of an asthma attack, follows up an appointment with a family doctor or specialist to answer any questions, deals with what triggers may be setting off a person’s asthma, and helps people to self-manage their condition“This really equips people with the information and skills to improve their health and users have provided extensive feedback that this has had a positive impact on their lives,” Ms O’Connor explained.The Asthma Adviceline is available at 1800 44 54 64.A recent partnership review undertaken jointly by the HSE and the Asthma Society of Ireland provided evidence that the service has an impact for people with asthma or parents of children with asthma, helping them to manage the condition to better effect.Commenting on the partnership, Shirley Keane from the HSE said: “Children miss an average of ten days at school each year due to asthma. Our research shows that the Adviceline service helps 70 per cent of callers aged 50 years and under, avoid missing school or work due to their asthma.”.Callers can avail of the service by calling the free phone number between 09:00 and 17:00 Monday to Friday. A call-back appointment with an experienced respiratory nurse specialist will be scheduled for a time and day that suits each individual caller.“Asthma is a long-term illness which can be complex and the advice and support offered by a specialist nurse can inspire confidence in the message of self-management and reassure callers or families of people living with these lifelong chronic conditions,” Ms O’Connor concluded.For more health news click here  WhatsApp Facebook Emailcenter_img Advertisement Dedicated Mid West virus helpline launched RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsHealthLimerick asthmatics not using life-saving serviceBy Bernie English – March 21, 2018 3755 Linkedin TAGSasthma attackAsthma Society IrelandAsthmaticshelplineinhalerinhalerslimerick last_img read more

Mexico’s new daily record of almost 28,000 coronavirus cases

first_imgMEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico has posted its highest one-day total of newly-confirmed coronavirus cases, with 27,944 infections, and a near-record 1,623 confirmed deaths. That brings the country’s total so far to just over 1.8 million cases and 153,639 deaths. However, estimates of excess deaths suggest the real toll is over 195,000. Hospitals are so full that many families have to treat their relatives at home, and they need oxygen cylinders to do so. But federal authorities reported Wednesday that there have there have been over a dozen robberies of oxygen tanks at hospitals, delivery trucks or other locations across the country.last_img

Bacolod-Silay airport reopening moved to June 15

first_img“No leisure travellers yet,” she said. The provincial government, he said, has discussed with representatives of airline companies the imposition of stricter health protocols at the airport to curb the spread of the viral illness. “[The] province opted to cancel all inbound commercial flights,” Tan said. “Outbound passengers will be at the sole control of PAL.” To help detect people possibly infected with COVID-19, Lacson said the airport will be equipped with thermal scanners that measure body temperature./PN BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA This move, according to Magallanes-Tan, will ensure that locally stranded individuals and returning Negrenses will be given priority in all flights.  It instead moved the airport’s resumption of operation to June 15 with commercial flights coming from Manila.center_img Tan also said that with the scheme they would be able to control the number of people coming in and make sure that only stranded individuals and Negrenses could enter the province. BACOLOD City – The provincial government of Negros Occidental reconsidered its decision to allow the reoperation of the Bacolod-Silay Airport by June 8.  Also, all individuals arriving at the airport will undergo mandatory real time-polymerase chain swab testing. Last week, Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson announced commercial flights from Manila to Negros Occidental will resume on June 8. Charina Magallanes-Tan, spokesperson of the coronavirus disease 2919 (COVID-19) Incident Command Center, said the provincial government made this decision after conferring with flag carrier Philippine Airlines.last_img read more