Francophone organisation asked to help save French-language daily facing sudden liquidation

first_img RSF_en Receive email alerts CambodiaAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information to go further CambodiaAsia – Pacific February 24, 2021 Find out more News Cambodian journalist gets 20 months in jail for livestream Google experiments drop Australian media from search results RSF decries Cambodian plan for Chinese-style “Great Firewall” January 21, 2021 Find out more News June 13, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Francophone organisation asked to help save French-language daily facing sudden liquidation News News Organisation Reporters Without Borders is outraged at yesterday’s decision by the owners of the French-language daily Cambodge Soir to close the newspaper, just two days after unfairly dismissing its news editor for publishing extracts from a long report on illegal logging that was critical of the government.The press freedom organisation voiced its solidarity with the newspapers 30 employees – 14 of them journalists – who could all lose their jobs, and called on Abdou Diouf, the secretary-general of the International Organisation of Francophone Countries (OIF), to intercede.”The OIF has for years been supporting Cambodge Soir, which has become a landmark of the French-language media in Asia and had produced many talented French and Cambodian journalists,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Although your organisation had just released new funds to support this newspaper, its management has decided to terminate this 12-year-old venture on the grounds of financial difficulties. We ask you to help prevent the disappearance of this exemplary French-language daily.”Cambodge Soir’s owners, among them minority shareholder Philippe Monin, yesterday told its staff that the liquidation of the newspaper and the company that publishes it, Société des Editions du Mékong, had already begun. The announcement came just one day after the newspaper’s journalists began a strike in protest against the summary dismissal of news editor Soren Seelow for publishing a detailed story based on a report by the environmental group Global Witness implicating associates of Prime Minister Hun Sen in illegal logging.The story did not please Monin and the newspaper’s managing editor, who summoned Seelow on 10 June and told him he was fired.Monin, who is also employed by the French Development Agency (AFD) to act as a adviser for the Cambodian agriculture ministry, told Seelow that his article would upset the authorities and put him in a difficult position.The Cambodian government has banned publication of the report in full or in part, while the prime minister’s brother, Hun Neng, reportedly said that if anyone from Global Witness came to Cambodia, he would “beat them on the head until it broke.”Cambodge Soir’s striking employees meanwhile issued a statement today condemning Seelow’s summary dismissal, the meddling in its editorial policies and the fact that the newspaper seems to have no future.Reporters Without Borders contacted Monin, who has been a shareholder since the newspaper was launched in 1995, but he refused to make any comment.A Cambodia-based journalist who spoke to Reporters Without Borders on condition of anonymity claimed that the new managing editor hired by Cambodge Soir’s board last September had been given the job of “sabotaging” the newspaper.With support from the French embassy, the staff recently launched several new projects including a website (which is down today) and special sections to cover the trial of Khmer Rouge members. But the managing editor allegedly did several things to undermine these initiatives, including abruptly suspending an advertising sales contract in December.Cambodge Soir had a reputation for editorial independence, compared with its French-language counterparts in Laos and Vietnam. Despite its limited circulation (about 2,000 copies) and recurring financial difficulties, it had significant impact on the Cambodian media landscape and its reports were often quoted in the Khmer-language press. Follow the news on Cambodia The news editor of the French-language daily Cambodge Soir was fired on 10 June for publishing extracts from an environmental NGO’s report on illegal logging. Then yesterday, the newspaper’s owners, including Philippe Monin, a French consultant working for the Cambodian agriculture ministry, announced that the newspaper is to be liquidated. December 28, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Hopes for improved Mungret bus service

first_imgWhatsApp Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat TAGSLimerick City and Countynational transport associationNewsNTApoliticsTransport TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Print Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Twitter Linkedin Email Cllr Dan McSweeney, Fine Gael. Photo: Cian ReinhardtMUNGRET, Ballybrown and Clarina and could soon be benefitting from an improved public bus service.This follows a motion from Fine Gael councillor Dan McSweeney at a recent meeting of the Limerick City and County Council’s Travel and Transportation Strategic Policy Committee where he asked the council to engage with the National Transport Authority (NTA) to secure improved bus services for the area.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The City West representative was informed that the local authority is actively engaging with the NTA in the development of the Limerick Shannon Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy.“Baseline studies and projected growth for population centres in Ballybrown, Clarina and Patrickswell will form the basis for consultation between Bus Éireann and NTA for appropriate bus services to meet the demand,” a Council spokesperson explained.Cllr McSweeney told the committee that there are currently four services connecting Clarina to Limerick City Monday to Friday from 8am to 5.15pm. The service is reduced to two times a day on Saturdays and one on Sundays.“Upon your return from Limerick City you have four bus services commencing at 1.35pm with last service at 5.40pm and similarly these services reduce to two on a Saturday and one on a Sunday.“One of the major issues surrounding the return bus route is timing. Many students travelling to secondary schools, completing after school study and those working in Limerick City centre are unable to use public transport due to there being no later bus service,” Cllr McSweeney explained.He also pointed out that Mungret has been promised an extended bus service for a number of years and is still waiting for it.“Mungret has grown significantly over the last number of years with additional housing and new schools and these public transport plans have still not materialised. The improvement of the Clarina bus service will be able to work hand in hand with the provision of improved bus services for Mungret,” he concluded.center_img Previous articleLimerick woman to lead hotel industry through challenging timesNext articleStorm Jorge brings Orange Weather Warning this weekend Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie NewsPoliticsTransportHopes for improved Mungret bus serviceBy Alan Jacques – February 27, 2020 579 Limerick on Covid watch list Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Facebook Advertisementlast_img read more

Falcarragh man speaks out after home destroyed by fire

first_imgThe owner of a house in Falcarragh which was destroyed in a fire earlier this week is calling for an urgent response from the relevant authorities.On Monday, John Fitzgearld rang the emergency services after the fuse box in his house went on fire.Despite living close to Falcarragh fire station, it emerged that the station was unmanned and so appliances from Gaoth Dobhair and Letterkenny had to tend to the fire instead.Speaking on the Nine Til Noon Show, Mr. Fitzgearlad stressed that this was not the fault of the local fire crew:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/johcgfhgfhgfhfhnfitz1pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Falcarragh man speaks out after home destroyed by fire News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook Google+ Twitter Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows AudioHomepage BannerNews Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA center_img WhatsApp Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Previous articleVulnerable Donegal post offices urged make their caseNext articleBroad welcome for upgraded works to South Donegal water supply News Highland DL Debate – 24/05/21 Twitter Google+ Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By News Highland – August 23, 2018 Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programmelast_img read more

Crimson contenders

first_imgIn the world of Crimson sports, the most dominant teams aren’t always the ones making headlines. Rather, the teams that slip under the radar are often the most determined competitors in the Ivy League — and this upcoming season the women’s volleyball and field hockey teams and the men’s water polo team will be the Crimson contenders to watch.Last season, these squads beat some of the top Ivy League schools and broke decade-old records. The women’s field hockey team brought home a win against Yale for the first time since 2008, while the women’s volleyball team not only finished second at season’s end but also broke Yale’s 23-match Ivy winning streak. And the men’s water polo team exceeded all expectations by not only ranking in the top 20 for the first time in eight years, but breaking St. Francis’ 10-year-plus streak at home and securing Harvard’s first regular season Northern Division Championship since 2002.Off-season, the athletes remained active. This season’s men’s water polo players tested international waters on a 10-day training trip to Italy, where they competed against skilled Italian teams.“This team has worked extremely hard,” said Ted Minnis, head coach of men’s water polo, who commended his men for their perseverance and effort off-season. “We’re no longer a young team. Our players have played in big games and gained experience that will help us attain our team and individual goals.”The teams are returning hungry for new victories.“We will build a championship team,” said women’s volleyball head coach Jennifer Weiss, confident in her senior athletes’ leadership and the “healthy challenge” of the incoming freshmen.While winning is always a goal, Tjerk van Herwaarden, head field hockey coach, wants his team to play an “attractive, fun-to-watch style with lots of exciting moments,” making women’s field hockey a more dynamic spectator sport.While basketball and football snare most of the spotlight, these teams are ready to take off. And with their combination of continued victories, fierce competition, and lively action, keeping your eyes off them will be a challenge.For a full schedule of Harvard athletic events throughout the year, visit its website.last_img read more

Dutch police use tear gas, water cannon amid rioting

first_imgTHE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Groups of youths have confronted police in several Dutch cities night, defying the country’s coronavirus curfew and throwing fireworks. Police in the port city of Rotterdam used a water cannon and tear gas in an attempt to disperse a crowd of rioters Monday night. Police also reported trouble in the capital, Amsterdam, where at least eight people were arrested, the central city of Amersfoort, where a car was turned on its side, and other towns before and after the 9 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. curfew began. It was the second night of unrest in towns and cities across the Netherlands that grew out of calls to protest against the country’s tough lockdown but degenerated into vandalism by crowds whipped up by messages on social media.last_img

Japan rescuers battle to reach thousands trapped by floods

first_imgJapan’s Meteorological Agency (JMA) said “heavy rain will likely continue at least until July 12 in a wide area” of the country, calling for “extreme vigilance” on landslide risks and flooding in low-lying areas.The JMA issued its second-highest evacuation order to more than 450,000 people. However, such orders are not compulsory and most residents are choosing not to go to shelters, possibly due to coronavirus fears.An official in Kumamoto said 55 people from the region were confirmed to have perished with four others feared dead.Two other deaths have been confirmed on Japan’s southwestern island of Kyushu and more than a dozen people are missing or unaccounted for, authorities said. ‘Hesitating to offer help’ In many areas, landslides reduced houses to rubble and floodwater rushed into homes in low-lying areas, destroying the contents and rendering them uninhabitable.Japan has deployed at least 80,000 rescue workers to save lives with the aid of another 10,000 troops.The rains also lashed central Japan, with local official Ryoichi Miyamae telling AFP that nearly 4,000 people were cut off, mainly trapped in the cities of Gero and the tourist magnet of Takayama by the overflowing Hida River.Complicating the rescue efforts has been the coronavirus pandemic, which has claimed nearly 1,000 lives in Japan from more than 20,000 cases.The need to maintain social distancing has reduced capacity at shelters and many have preferred to take refuge in their vehicles for fear of becoming infected.One emergency worker said the coronavirus might be dissuading people from volunteering to help with the rescue efforts.”A special characteristic of this disaster I felt was not people hesitating to evacuate, but people hesitating to offer help,” one doctor said, according to NHK.”In past disasters, by the fourth day, we would normally see relief efforts like people preparing meals. This time, I am yet to see anything like that.”Regional authorities have asked potential volunteers from outside Kumamoto not to travel to the region, for fear of spreading the virus.Japan is in the middle of its annual rainy season and often sees damaging floods and landslides during this period that lasts several weeks. However, experts say climate change is intensifying the phenomenon because a warmer atmosphere holds more water to dump in the form of rain. Topics : After five days blocked by floodwater and landslides, troops finally managed to rescue some 40 residents in the village of Ashikita in the Kumamoto region.Kinuyo Nakamura, 68, burst into tears of relief as she finally made it to an evacuation center.”Gosh, it was scary. My house, it’s such a mess, I cannot live there anymore,” she said as she came across someone she knew at the shelter.”We have experienced flooding disasters in the past many times. But this one doesn’t compare. Rather than being afraid, I was just focused on escaping,” she told public broadcaster NHK.Nakamura choked up as she explained that one of her neighbors had fallen victim to the floods.”A truly, truly, fantastic person,” she said, covering her face to hide the tears. “That was the hardest thing.” Japanese emergency services and troops were scrambling on Thursday to reach thousands of homes cut off by devastating flooding and landslides that have killed dozens and caused widespread damage.Japan’s Fire and Disaster Management Agency said Thursday more than 3,000 households were isolated, either by rising floodwater or roads destroyed by landslides, mostly in the hardest-hit southwestern region of Kumamoto where fresh downpours were forecast.The rain front started in the southwest in the early hours of Saturday and has since cut a swathe of destruction across Japan, dumping record amounts of rain and causing swollen rivers to break their banks.last_img read more