Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Facebook Linkedin Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick Email WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads LimerickNewsOrgan Donation Saves LivesBy Meghann Scully – December 21, 2020 160 Advertisement Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Postorgan donor Twitter Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live NO REPRO FEE 12/06/2020 HSE Covid-19 Media Briefing. Pictured is Dr Catherine Motherway, President of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland, Intensive Care Consultant, ULHG at the HSE weekly operational update on the response to Covid-19, in the UCD O’Brien Centre for Science in UCD, Dublin. Photograph: Leon Farrell / Photocall IrelandAS is tradition, we remember our donors in this past year and celebrate and give thanks for their selfless gift to others.The HSE’s ODTI are asking people to share their views and wishes on organ donation with their families and friends over Christmas and in the New Year. We would remind all to stay safe in these difficult times.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up We are joined again this year by patients, donor families and staff in their appeal to the public to #HaveThatConversation and remember that organ donation saves lives.Approximately 500 people are waiting for an organ transplant in Ireland. This is includes patients on dialysis awaiting kidney transplants and patients waiting for lung, heart and liver transplants. While some kidney donations can take place through the living donation programme, all other organ donations can only proceed when another life is lost.Dr Catherine Motherway, Intensive Care Consultant in University Hospital Limerick and Clinical Lead for Organ Donation explains that organ donation is among the greatest gifts we can give to another.“Having that conversation and letting family members know our views and wishes on organ donation is really important.“The priority for all of us who work in intensive care is to save lives. However, sadly at times this is not always possible. As part of end of life care when appropriate we offer families the opportunity for their relative to donate organs.“In such circumstances we approach families to ask if their loved one would have wanted to donate organs. When faced with sudden loss and grief we know that for families who have had that conversation and have talked about organ donation the decision making can be easier and less daunting when they know what their relative would have wanted.“It can bring great comfort to a family that we in the intensive care and transplant community can honour their loved ones wishes to become an organ donor and transform someone else’s life.“We are constantly humbled working with families of our donors who in the midst of tragedy find the strength to help others in need. They have our deepest gratitude and sympathy.”In 2017 Janet O Brien lost her son Luke O Reilly (20) tragically following an attack on Halloween night. Luke’s organs were donated and Janet says Luke lives on through organ donation. She said “I instinctively knew donation was what Luke would have wanted and I find solace in knowing my son has helped others.”Rebecca Maher’s daughter Matilda passed away when she was 8 months old. Matilda was born with a major heart condition and was too sick to go on the transplant list. Matilda became an organ donor and Rebecca says for herself and her husband Brendan “It has given us huge comfort to know that Matilda has saved somebody else’s life and the life of their family.”Karen Kelly is Josh’s mammy. Last year Josh, now 8 years old, was placed on dialysis awaiting a kidney transplant. Following a thorough testing regime, in Beaumont hospital Karen was confirmed as a suitable donor for Josh.Karen bravely donated her kidney to Josh. Her kidney surgery took place in Beaumont in October and on the same day Josh received his new kidney in Temple Street. Karen said “For me the hardest part was not being able to be with Josh during his surgery in Temple Street as I recovered in Beaumont Hospital.Josh is now a happy and healthy 8 year old and I am very proud to be an organ donor. I really want to reach out and support and anyone who may find themselves in similar circumstances and let everyone know how important organ donation is in saving and improving lives.”Since his double lung transplant in 2017 David Crosby has continued to run marathons across the world in honour of the donor who gave him the gift of life. He said; “My plans for 2020 were unfortunately put on hold but I am determined to keep on running and complete the Marathon super six series as soon as I can.“I would like everyone to know how important it is to share your wishes on organ donation. I will be forever grateful to my donor their family who saved my life.” he added.Organ donation continues to be a rare event; of 31,000 deaths each year in Ireland, we see an average of 80 multi organ donations per annum.The HSE and ODTI sincerely thank the families of deceased donors who at a time of great tragedy found the strength to offer a new lease of life to many people.For all the positive stories of successful transplant, sadly some patients do and will die each year while waiting for a transplant.ODTI and their extended team, remain committed to increasing organ donations and transplants and urge all, to have that conversation about donation and make their wishes known. Having the conversation ensures wherever possible the loss of one precious life can be turned to benefit many others through donation. Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Previous articleShannon Group statement on suspension of flights from Shannon Airport to and from the UK from 20th DecemberNext articleWeekly Racing News | As the Festive Season fast approaches Meghann Scully
VERSAILLES – Ripley County Rescue 69 Chief Charley Cozart says his EMS crew responds to approximately 1100 emergency calls each year.Rescue 69 has now become much more equipped to handle the amount after grant funding has allowed them to purchase a new ambulance.The 82-thousand dollar truck is funded by grants from the Tyson Fund, Ripley County Community Foundation, Rising Sun Regional Foundation and the Golda and Gilmore Reynolds Foundation.The Osgood Journal is reporting that the new ambulance becomes the primary vehicle for emergency runs and a 2005 ambulance, with over 220,000 miles, will serve as an alternate. The funding allows the crew to retire a 1994 ambulance that was used as an alternate.Rescue 69 provides round-the-clock service to the majority of Ripley County, excluding Batesville, Sunman and Milan.
Is it too early to make one’s way to Namboole? This #FOMO is too much. #UGAvsCOM #MujjeTulumbe pic.twitter.com/8siZYSkFUC— Fredrick Tumusiime (@tufre80) September 4, 2016 ___________________________________________________________________Kick off 5pm___________________________________________________________________15___________________________________________________________________30_________________________________________________________________45____________________________________________________________________________HALF TIME_________________________________________________00___________________________________________________________________ 60___________________________________________________________________75_________________________________________________________________90___________________________________________________________________#MujjeTulumbe Tweets*******PREVIEWSunday September 4Mandela Stadium, NambooleUganda vs Comoros 5pmCranes coach Micho Milutin Sredejovic believes Uganda can finally make it, but like many long-suffering fans, knows we have been here before. Uganda’s football history since 1978 is full of near misses, most recently against Kenya in 2011 and against Zambia in 2013.The last two games tell why Micho is calling for cool heads, on and off the pitch. Exactly like it is now, all Cranes needed against Kenya was a win, while against Zambia they needed not only a win, but one more goal. Both did not come and Chipolopolo advanced 9-8 on penalties.In the years before, there were even more painful close shaves, failing to beat Nigeria after missing a late penalty in Nakivubo in 1993 and a rude welcome to Mandela Stadium Namboole where Rwanda defeated Uganda 1-0 in 2003.“We need to remain focused and avoid being complacent so that we can re-write Uganda’s AFCON history and make it back to the competition after the last appearance in 1978,” Micho warned after excitement reached a high after Cranes’ stunning win in Botswana in June.Micho told FUFA.co.ug, ” This is one game like many others we have played. We shall need calm heads but with the value attached to it, we need to finish every move and chance created. I also call upon the fans to cheer up the team at all times.”Cranes’ taskAll Uganda has to do is beat Comoros to advance to their first Nations Cup final since 1978. If Cranes win their final game, they will be one of the two best second placed teams, that will make it to Gabon.They set themselves up in this position by stunning Botswana 2-1 in June. 13 group winners and best two runners-up from 11 four-team groups qualify for 2017 Cup of Nations with hosts GabonTable of the 2nd best teamsOnly four other teams, CAR, Tunisia, Mali (already qualified) and Benin can end up with 13 points, but if CAR and Tunisia get the 13 points, they will deny their 2nd placed teams the chance, as that will leave them at 10 and 12 points respectively.Mali and Benin play each other in the final match, so even if both get 13 points, one will be group leader – leaving Uganda as the second team at 13.Teams that have qualified for 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (full fixtures page 2)Guinea-Bissau (Group E winners)Morocco (Group F winners)Egypt (Group G winners)Ghana (Group H winners)Algeria (Group J winners)Senegal (Group K winners)Zimbabwe (Group L winners)Cameroon (Group M winners)Mali (Group C winners or runners-up)Groups in contention for two second best qualification placesGroup A Liberia 5 3 1 1 10 4 10Tunisia 5 3 1 1 12 2 10Togo 5 2 2 1 6 4 8Djibouti 5 0 0 5 1 19 0Final gamesTunisia vs LiberiaTogo vs DjiboutiGroup BDR Congo 5 4 0 1 12 5 12C.A.R. 5 3 1 1 8 7 10Angola 5 1 1 3 6 7 4Madagascar 5 0 2 3 4 11 2Final gameDR Congs vs CARGroup CMali 5 4 1 0 8 1 13Benin 5 3 2 0 10 5 11S.Sudan 5 1 0 4 3 11 3E.Guinea 5 0 1 4 2 6 1Final gamesMali vs BeninGroup DB. Faso 5 3 1 1 4 1 10Uganda 5 3 1 1 5 2 10Botswana 5 2 0 3 4 6 6Comoros 5 1 0 4 2 6 3Final gamesUganda vs ComorosBurkina Faso v BotswanaShare on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 PICTORIAL: The nation expects. The stage is set. Will Cranes finally deliver in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying on Sunday when they take on Comoros?
Airbnb’s CEO says the company is already taking actions against unauthorized parties, following a deadly shooting at a Halloween party that was held at a rental home in California.Brian Chesky tweeted Saturday that his staff is expanding manual screening of “high risk” reservations, and they will remove guests who fail to comply with policies banning parties at the company’s rental homes.He added that the company is forming a “rapid response team” to address complaints of unauthorized parties. Five people died in a Halloween night shooting at a four-bedroom home which had been rented on Airbnb by a woman who allegedly told the owner that her family members had asthma and needed to escape smoke from a nearby wildfire.The owner, who was suspicious of a one-night rental on Halloween, reminded the renter that no parties were allowed, according to a source.The owner, Michael Wang, says his wife reached out to the renter on Thursday night, when neighbors contacted them about the party.He adds, “We called the police. They were on the way to go there to stop them, but before we got there the neighbor already sent us a message saying there was a shooting.”No arrests have been made, and a motive for the attack is not yet known. However, authorities found two guns at the property.Three people from the Bay Area died at the scene, while a fourth died at the hospital.In addition, Airbnb has banned the renter from its platform, and the home has been removed from its listings.
A dramatic turn in the impeachment inquiry may come from the possible rat’s mouth who is also from Boca Raton.Associate of Rudy Giuliani and Ukrainian-American businessman Lev Parnas is reportedly ready to work with impeachment investigators in Congress.“Mr. Parnas was very upset by President Trump’s plainly false statement that he did not know him,” Joseph A. Bondy, a new lawyer for Parnas, told The New York Times. “We are willing to comply with the subpoena to the extent that it does not violate any appropriate privilege that Mr. Parnas may properly invoke.”Parnas is described as a key figure in the inquiry into whether President Trump abused his office for political gain.Investigators believe Parnas helped Giuliani look for dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.Parnas and his business associate Igor Fruman were arrested in early October on a four-count indictment, which includes charges of conspiracy, making false statements to the Federal Election Commission, and falsification of records.Both co-defendants have plead not guilty in the case.Parnas was initially unwilling to cooperate after receiving a letter from House Democrats requesting documents and deposition in connection with the inquiry just a week before his arrest.He then hired John Dowd, a former attorney for Trump, who called the congressional requests overly broad and said Parnas would not cooperate.But Parnas seemingly had a change of heart, as well as legal representation after president Trump denied knowing him or his business associate.“I don’t know them,” Trump told reporters, according to the Times. “Maybe they were clients of Rudy.“You’d have to ask Rudy,” Trump added.It is unclear at this time whether the latest development in the impeachment inquiry will affect Trump or his administration.
A group of scientists at a Norwegian company are working on creating technology they say will stop hurricanes from impacting and devastating areas such as South Florida.The energy is there, the solution is there, it’s just the will,” says Olav Bjørnsund Hollingsæter, CEO of OceanTherm.OceanTherm scientists believe that hurricanes can be stopped by changing the ocean’s surface temperature using pipes.Hollingsæter adds, “We want to lift up the cold water and mix it with the warm water on the surface, thereby reducing the energy source for the hurricanes.”The technology already exists and is currently being used in Norway.The company states it simply needs funding to take that technology to the next level.For that purpose, Hollingsæter and his colleagues in South Florida, meeting with FPL’s parent company, NextEra Energy, among others.They are seeking about $1.5 million to conduct the necessary testing over the next year.If the tests are successful, OceanTherm will try to run a pilot program in Florida and the Gulf of Mexico in 2021, and could be taking out storms as early as 2023.
Shocking video has emerged showing a 14-year-old boy being attacked on a Florida school bus, allegedly because he’d previously worn a hat supporting President Donald Trump.The incident occurred on November 21 in Hamilton County, Florida, and the video first emerged on Thursday after the boy’s family retained attorney Foye B. Walker for possible legal action.The incident left the boy, identified only as Tyler, hospitalized with head contusions, according to his mother.The attorney, Walker, verified in a tweet that the incident occurred on a school bus in Hamilton County, and that he was representing the family.
A security guard shot and killed a man who allegedly assaulted another guard at a Fort Lauderdale condo high-rise this week, police say.The shooting occurred just before 4 a.m. Wednesday at Playa Del Mar, which is at 3900 Galt Ocean Drive, according to Detective Tracy Figone.Broward Medical Examiner Craig Mallak identified the dead man as 65-year-old Fort Lauderdale resident Lawrence Ascione.Pio Ieraci, president of the Galt Mile Community Association, explains the suspect had attacked a female guard at a security station in the condo’s garage.That is when another guard, who was on a roving patrol, appeared and shot him.Ieraci is unsure whether the guard who shot Ascione heard the assault taking place, or if had been on his regular rounds.The guards are employees of a security company called Elite Guard.Ascione was arrested on October 15 for an incident in Lauderdale Lakes, in which police say that he fired a BB gun six times at a woman but missed.He was also arrested last August on a charge of breaking into the back door of a store on Las Olas Boulevard, and a month later in Lauderdale Lakes, on a charge of unlawful consumption of an alcoholic beverage.Court records show that he had been wearing an ankle monitor since December 24.Figone says the investigation remains open.
Imagine going into a hospital for a checkup after getting headaches, only to find out there is a bullet in your head!That is exactly what happened to a woman who had been complaining of headaches and was taken to the hospital where, her wife said, doctors found a bullet in her head days after she was hurt in a drive-by shooting in Southwest Miami-Dade.According to Miami-Dade Police, Shakena Jefferson, 42, was grazed by a bullet after a drive-by shooting took place near her home on Tuesday.Officials say doctors did an X-ray on her head, and found a bullet inside. Jefferson was treated for her wound and had to undergo a surgery to have the bullet removed.She is expected to recover.