Organisation News Friends and colleagues organised events on June 7 in Kandahar, Lashkar Gah and Kabul to commemorate Rohani and to press for the right to know the truth about his murder. March 11, 2021 Find out more The Afghan authorities failed to properly investigate the murder of Abdul Samad Rohani, the BBC World Service’s correspondent in the southern province of Helmand, whose body was found one year ago. His family and colleagues are still pressing for the truth about his death, especially for the identity of those who ordered it. RSF_en Speaking on condition of anonymity, a Helmand-based journalist told Reporters Without Borders: “Identifying killers is not hard here but in this case the instigators have so much influence that no one can do anything, not even in Kabul. It is very worrying.” Pajhwok editor in chief Danish Karokhel told Reporters Without Borders: “We have been asking the same thing over and again for the entire year, namely, can we at least know the identity of those who killed our colleague? We know the Afghan government is too weak to arrest and try those responsible. At least we could hope that the media would be able investigate the murder. But they cannot. Why is everyone so afraid of looking into this case?” Receive email alerts “We will not give up demanding justice for journalists murdered in Afghanistan, including Rohani, whose murder terrified all the journalists in the Helmand region,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The behaviour of the authorities, who quickly blamed the Taliban and did not conduct a thorough investigation, suggests that it will go unpunished. Clearly, no one dares take on the case.” to go further June 9, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Doubt about government’s desire for justice in case of BBC reporter killed a year ago News Follow the news on Afghanistan Help by sharing this information AfghanistanAsia – Pacific News AfghanistanAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan News May 3, 2021 Find out more Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says Rohani was kidnapped by gunmen who stopped his car in a suburb of Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand province, on 7 June 2008. His body was found the next day. According to a forensic doctor, he was tortured before being shot three times. Aged 25, he was the Helmand correspondent for the BBC’s Pashto and Farsi services. He had also worked for the independent Afghan news agency Pajhwok since 2004. Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom”
Previous articleNorthampton match traffic planNext articleO’Dea promises to ‘kick some ass’ admin Twitter NewsLocal NewsHenry Street HQ to expandBy admin – January 21, 2010 691 HENRY STREET gardai have been granted an extension…. with the acquisition of the leasehold interest in the adjacent former Eircom premises, and designed to relieve the pressure on their existing building.It had been indicated two years ago that the Department of Justice had expressed an interest in section of the now Foreign Aid building across the road, and which had been under construction, with a view to providing long sought after additional space for Henry Street garda personnel.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Contracts have now been signed for the red-bricked former Eircom offices, built in the 1970s by local developer Charles Humphreys.Their new premises, which had been on the market for some time, have five floors of accommodation.The current premises will be retained.Inspector John O’Reilly said that, like all garda stations, the building is to be leased, and that a number of departments, along with Garda training quarters, would be transferred there.“We are expected to be in situ for July of this year”, said the Inspector, confirming there would not be any additional holding cells in their new premises. The cells are to remain at the existing station.There are around 350 garda personnel in the district, which includes Henry Street, Mayorstone and Mary Street stations.Plans are also in place to relocate Limerick District Court to a more secure location in the city, and while a Henry Street site had been widely mooted, the likelihood now is that it will be built on a vacant space in Mulgrave Street, and close to the prison. Print Facebook Advertisement Linkedin WhatsApp Email
Jason Corbett killers, Molly and Tom Martens may be freed on bail tomorrow as they consider manslaughter plea bargain deal Family of Jason Corbett “devastated” after receiving “bombshell” news his killers will get bail after being offered “manslaughter” plea deal Advertisement Facebook Email Twitter Brother of slain Jason Corbett writes to US President expressing “dismay” at DA’s plea bargain offer to killers WhatsApp Linkedin Print Previous articlePatrickswell to benefit from renewal schemeNext articleEclectic live programme for Lime Tree venues Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie TAGSfeaturedjack and sarahJason Corbett No vaccines in Limerick yet RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up HAVING left the US courtroom in tears following the decision of Judge April Woods to dissolve proceedings, Molly Martens, the stepmother of the Jack and Sarah Corbett has lodged a late appeal against the return of the children to Ireland.On Tuesday night last having been awarded guardianship of the two children by Clerk for the Davidson County Superior Court, Tracey and David Lynch went to court on Thursday for what was to be confirmation of the earlier decision.Judge April Woods dissolved the cases of Molly Martens paving the way for Tracey and David to return home to Ireland with the two children of Jason Corbett who was killed in his home on August 2 last.Molly Martens and her father, retired FBI agent Thomas Martens are described by police as “persons of interest” in the case as Mr Corbett was killed following a blow to the head in “domestic disturbance”. It later was filed by police as an assault and Mr Martens who alerted the emergency services said he was in an argument with his son in law and hit him with a baseball bat.Leaving court on Thursday, Ms Martens was said to be in floods of tears and in another late development, her legal team filed an appeal on the decision of the court.However, in this tragic twist, the Corbett family were only informed of the development on Friday morning.John Corbett, Jason’s brother, who was speaking on Limerick’s Live95fm, said the decision to appeal is very calculating,“It just shows you the pure callousness and coldness of the Martens family, especially Molly Martens in this desperate attempt to try and prevent my brother’s children to return to their true family because a senior family court judge decided that the long term future and care of Sarah and Jack would be the most beneficial with his true family in Ireland”.He said the latest actions were “cruel”, and that Ms Marten should not have taken it this far.John Corbett claimed that there is only one reason why Molly Martens has lodged the appeal.“The only reason, the whole family feels, that Molly Martens is desperately trying to get custody of my nephew and niece is because there is a possible pending criminal prosecution against her and other members of her family for the murder of my brother.“It’s a very very sinister agenda indeed.”The appeal goes against the comments of the Clerk of the superior court whose decision is below.The Corbett family have now been put on hold again from returning to Ireland to bury their brother and the family are said to be again traumatised on this latest twist. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April NewsBreaking newsLate appeal lodged against return of Corbett children to IrelandBy Staff Reporter – August 21, 2015 1379 Shannondoc operating but only by appointment
The Canadian federal government introduced new legislation on Monday to criminalize LGBTQ conversion therapy, as Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government moves to fulfill one of its 2019 election promises.The proposed amendments to Canada’s Criminal Code include offenses such as causing a person to undergo conversion therapy, advertising and profiting from conversion therapy and removing a minor from Canada.Conversion therapy is any practice designed to change a person’s sexual orientation to heterosexual, gender identity to one that matches the sex assigned at birth, or to repress or reduce non-heterosexual sexual attraction or behaviors, according to the legislation. Topics : The bill also amends the Criminal Code to authorize courts to order disposing of or deleting advertisements for conversion therapy.”Conversion therapy has been discredited and denounced by professionals and health associations in Canada, the United States and around the world. It has no basis on science or facts,” said Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada David Lametti.The legislation would not criminalize personal views expressed in private conversations by individuals looking to provide support to those struggling with their sexual orientation or gender identity.The bill was introduced by Lametti and Bardish Chagger, minister of Diversity and Inclusion and Youth.Conversion therapy has been banned in some Canadian cities such as Vancouver and Calgary. Ontario was the first Canadian province to ban the practice in 2015.Several US states, including California, Colorado, New York and Washington, have banned conversion therapy.