Kellogg pulls peanut butter crackers as Salmonella probe widens

first_imgJan 15, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – The Kellogg Company yesterday pulled its peanut butter crackers from store shelves as public health officials investigate whether any peanut butter–containing food products are associated with a national Salmonella outbreak that now includes 448 cases in 43 states and may have played a role in five deaths.Investigators have determined that the source of the outbreak strain, Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium, might be bulk peanut butter from the Peanut Corporation of America’s (PCA) plant in Blakely, Ga.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today in an update on the outbreak that investigators are continuing their investigation into exposures to peanut butter and products that contain peanut butter. “Public health officials will advise the public if more products are identified as being associated with the outbreak,” the agency said.Sebastian Cianci, spokesman for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), told CIDRAP News today that the agency’s investigators have been at the PCA facility, have taken samples for testing at the FDA’s lab, and are awaiting the results.He said that FDA investigators have not definitively linked the outbreak to PCA, and so far an open 5-lb container of peanut butter in Minnesota is the only contaminated product that has been found. “Right now we’re still trying to nail down what the products are. Based on early evidence, we’re taking a closer look at PCA,” Cianci said. He said the fact that the tainted peanut butter container was open leaves the possibility that it was cross-contaminated somehow after it was opened, rather than during production.PCA has said its peanut butter is only distributed in 17 states, according to a previous CIDRAP News report. King Nut Company, which distributes the PCA-produced peanut butter that was first identified by public health officials in Minnesota as genetically matching the outbreak strain, has said it only distributes its product in seven states.Kellogg, in a press release yesterday, stopped short of issuing a recall but said it was placing a hold on some of its Keebler and Austin brand crackers as a precautionary measure. The company said it is removing its products from retail sale, placing a hold on the inventory, and asking consumers to avoid eating the products until federal officials clear them.PCA is one of several peanut paste suppliers that Kellogg said it uses in its Austin and Keebler peanut butter sandwich crackers.Kellogg said its own investigation has revealed no evidence of concerns about the products and that it has not fielded any complaints about consumer illnesses. The precautionary hold applies to Austin and Keebler toasted peanut butter sandwich crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwich crackers, cheese and peanut butter sandwich crackers, and peanut butter and chocolate sandwich crackers.David Mackay, Kellogg’s president and chief executive officer, said in the statement yesterday, “Consumer health and safety is our top priority. We are taking these voluntary actions out of an abundance of caution.”Sima Yaron, PhD, a senior lecturer at Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel, and her colleagues have explored how some Salmonella strains survive the peanut butter pasteurization process and have found that the pathogen may show increased heat resistance in foods that have low water and high lipid content, such as peanut butter and chocolate.She told CIDRAP News by e-mail that sporadic Salmonella infections from eating contaminated peanut butter probably happen frequently and she’s not surprised by news of another outbreak linked to the product. However, Yaron said the large number of cases from so many states is notable, suggesting that the outbreak stemmed from a very large amount of contaminated peanut butter.See also:Jan 14 FDA press releaseJan 15 CDC Salmonella outbreak updateJan 14 CIDRAP News story “Salmonella outbreak prompts another peanut butter recall”last_img read more

Contemporary design makes Gold Coast home seductive

first_imgThe pool has a waterfall and built-in TV. Concrete and timber are featured throughout. Contemporary fixtures and black accents give it a sense of sophistication. No expense was spared in its design and construction.Leaving the house is going to be difficult given it was their dream home.“There are a lot of milestones in the house,” he said. “I love the location and going up to the third floor (which is) north facing — I always find myself up there having a few beers.“It’s really open and super breezy.”The property is listed through Nic Whitehead and Trent Reid of John Reid Real Estate without a price tag but property records show the neighbouring house sold for $1.42 million. After about a year of living in the neighbouring house with his family, Mr Wilson has decided to sell it so he can build another closer to the water.“It was like breaking up with a girlfriend when we had to tell (our neighbours) we had to move,” he said. The third level entertainment area offers panoramic views.center_img MORE NEWS: Millionaires’ Row pad packs a punch at auction Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:50Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:50 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenTop tips for sellers in Spring00:50 There is plenty of space to entertain inside and out.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa10 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag1 day agoHe bought the Boodera Rd property about a decade ago but it wasn’t until two years ago that he knocked the house down and started building the modern duplex.Mr Wilson said people would often walk by and marvel at the project throughout construction.“A couple that kept doing the same thing … they actually bought one three months before it was finished,” he said. MORE NEWS: Imagine having a theme park in your backyard The Palm Beach residence at 20a Boodera Rd stands out on its street.“SEXY” is not a word often used to describe a house but in the case of one Palm Beach residence, it is the only way.Concrete and timber throughout with black accents and mood lighting give the three-storey residence an alluring charm.Add contemporary fixtures and a pool with a waterfall to the mix and the home becomes the epitome of sophisticated luxury living.It is part of a duplex that was built by Aaron Wilson, the co-owner of popular burger bar empire Ze Pickle.last_img read more

9-year-old boy drowns in river

first_imgThe victim went out swimming with hiscompanions in the river when the incident happened, a police reportshowed.   His companions asked for help whenthey saw him lifeless around 4 p.m. on Nov. 8, the report added.  The Kabalikat Rescue Team responded inthe area where the boy was declared dead./PNcenter_img Bacolod City – In Barangay Estefania, a 9-year-old boy drowned in ariver. last_img

Mark Wood could return in third Test

first_imgMark Wood can provide the X Factor England need to beat South Africa in the third Test in Port Elizabeth, says assistant coach Paul Collingwood.James Anderson has been ruled out with a broken rib and Jofra Archer missed the second Test with an elbow injury.That leaves a potentially sizeable hole in the England attack with the series poised at 1-1.“Mark’s ready to come in and do a job,” said Collingwood.“You need those types of bowlers, especially on surfaces at Port Elizabeth where you might need a touch of X Factor; a 90mph-plus bowler that can get the batsmen jumping around.“Mark’s certainly the kind of guy who can do that, along with Jofra.”Wood, 30, has not played Test cricket for England since February 2019, when he produced career-best figures of 5-41 to clinch a 232-run victory against West Indies in St Lucia.He went on to play an integral part in England’s World Cup victory, but has not bowled in a competitive match since picking up a side strain in the final.Collingwood acknowledges the lack of match practice is far from ideal, but says he has seen enough from his former Durham team-mate in the nets to believe he is ready to re-enter the Test arena.“Ideally, you would like to have him playing cricket somewhere but with the international schedule the way it is that’s just not a viable option,” he said.“So from a coach’s point of view you have got to make sure they have got the overs under their belt and their workloads up. He looks really good in the nets.”England will recall at least one, possibly two, bowlers for Thursday’s third Test with Wood, Archer, Chris Woakes and Craig Overton all in contention, depending on whether they retain spinner Dom Bess in the starting XI.They will return to a team which bowled out South Africa twice to level the series in their last outing in Cape Town.“Cape Town was exceptional,” said Collingwood. “I thought our first-innings bowling performance was one of the best I have seen for many years and that’s kind of the blueprint for the future with the Kookaburra ball.”England will be led by Joe Root in the third Test of four, after the captain recovered from illness which saw him miss training earlier in the week.“It’s good to see him back,” added Collingwood. “He’s got a smile on his face and we’ve just got to make sure he doesn’t pass it on to anyone else.“He shouldn’t now, so all good on that front.”(BBC Sport)last_img read more